A Christmas Dog’s Dinner!

Most people would agree that our pets are part of the family, and therefore we want them to enjoy the festive season along with the rest of the family; if you are a dog owner it’s highly likely that you will want to share some of the spoils of the festive feast with your pet(s).

However, before you launch into this it’s worth considering that some Christmas foods are not recommended for animals and can result in weight increases and upset stomachs – and in some instances might be toxic.

If you do decide to feed your dog leftovers, don’t forget to try and balance out their daily calorie allowance with the rest of the food that you feed them on the day.

Foods to avoid feeding your dog for Christmas dinner

Some foods are dangerous for dogs – either because they are a choking hazard or because they can poison your pet.

You’ll need to avoid feeding your dog the following:

  • Bones (especially as they will be cooked) – these are a choking hazard, but can also splinter, causing rips and tears to your dog’s insides, which is extremely dangerous.
  • Onions (including anything with an onion sauce) – these are toxic to dogs.
  • Garlic (including anything with a garlic sauce) – this is toxic to dogs.
  • Leeks and shallots (in the same family as onions and garlic) – these are toxic to dogs.
  • Mincemeat, currants, raisins and sultanas (including in Christmas pudding or mince pies) – these are toxic to dogs.
  • Any food or drink containing alcohol – obviously, this is toxic to dogs.
  • Chocolate – this is toxic to dogs.

Watch out for foods that might contain onions, garlic or leeks as one of their ingredients, as these could also be harmful, such as:

  • Gravy
  • Stuffing
  • Bread sauce

And finally, keep a watchful eye on the roasting pan – keeping it well out of reach from your pets as the fat produced by the roast meat will be incredibly tempting, but can even cause life-threatening illness, such as pancreatitis.

Back to News