Senior Veterinary Surgeon
The Vet - Hampshire
From £60,000 depending on experience
Support allowances available
This is a fantastic opportunity for a dedicated, customer-focused Senior Veterinary Surgeon to join our friendly team at our state-of-the-art Southampton surgery.
This role has a focus on enhancing specific clinical practices and procedures, increasing the credibility of the practice and upskilling colleagues. This role is also responsible for all relevant aspects of clinical governance.
You'll join our passionate, highly-skilled team in delivering the highest standards of clinical care and customer service.
We’re part of the UK’s largest, independent, family-owned veterinary group with a nationwide presence. We offer exceptional care in the local communities we serve, helping pets to live long, happy and healthy lives with their families.
Our state-of-the-art surgeries are purpose-built, light and spacious and equipped with the latest technology. We’re committed to creating an environment that offers exceptional clinical care and where our colleagues love to work, our patients are calm and our customers feel assured.
We’re continually investing in developing our growing team and there's never been a better time to join us!
To attract and retain the best talent in the sector, we offer market-leading salaries, flexible work patterns and locations, a generous bonus scheme, opportunities for voluntary work overseas, fully-funded post-grad certificates, quarterly recognition payments and electric company cars.
Duties and responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Head Vet provide the appropriate development and mentoring to drive the Vet team’s clinical compliance and continuous improvement.
- Collaborate in a positive and professional manner with the whole surgery team to deliver best patient care whilst adhering to The Vet practice procedures.
- Take clinical direction from the Clinical Director / Head Vet.
- Demonstrate flexibility to share daily tasks and responsibilities amongst the veterinary team.
- As agreed with the Area Manager, deputise for the Clinical Director / Head Vet in their absence.
- Conduct consultations, investigations and surgical procedures.
- Adhere to and reinforcing compliance to The Vet Practice Procedures Manual, Standard Operating Procedures and Standard Forms.
- Agree corrective action and improvement requirements, following internal audits, and ensuring their completion within the agreed timescale, pertaining to any specialist work done.
- Develop and maintain skills and experience whilst completing CPD requirements.
- Maintain timely, accurate and up to date clinical notes for each patient.
- Lead by example by consistently demonstrating a caring, professional attitude to clients, patients and the surgery team.
- Communicate promptly and effectively with customers regarding progress of investigations, treatment and follow-up care.
- Ensure that inpatients receive the appropriate clinical care and an effective handover is conducted between colleagues and/or out of hours providers.
- Encourage the use of internal referrals and seek the assistance of appropriate colleagues or advisory bodies to deliver clinical excellence.
- Investigate and resolve customer complaints, escalating the matter to the Head Vet if the complaint requires additional support.
- Collaborate with the surgery and central leadership team to expand and improve the services provided at the surgery through e.g. purchase of new equipment, introducing new protocols, recruiting new roles, funding additional CPD.
- Work with the surgery management team to consistently deliver the best patient care and customer experience, cultivating a positive, collaborative working environment for all colleagues.
- Support the leadership team in promoting the strategic plan and the values of The Vet and driving continuous improvement.
- Special projects as agreed with the Managing Director
- % ‘Red’, ‘Amber’ and ‘Green’ audits
- % outstanding audit corrective actions
- Monthly Veterinary Surgeons’ turnover
- % Follow-up Veterinary Surgeons’ consultations
The role is based in a fast-paced environment and the Senior Vet must lead by example.
This role requires strong communication and organisational skills. The post holder must demonstrate empathy, kindness and compassion, whilst also being calm and confident under pressure.
The role requires a commitment to proactively developing own skills whilst completing CPD in accordance with The Vet and the RCVS requirements.
The Senior Vet must adhere to health & safety guidelines.
Hours of work will be undertaken to reflect the needs of the business. This means that the Senior Vet must demonstrate flexibility and the willingness to provide cover for absences and weekends, if required, which may include working at other surgeries within the group. Time will be made available to complete essential administrative tasks, although this must flexible so as not to adversely impact the effectiveness of the surgery, patient care nor customer satisfaction.
This role will require you to be active for long periods of time.
The Senior Veterinary Surgeon must adhere at all times to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Code of Professional Conduct.
Subscribe for Job Alerts
Subscribe to stay current with opportunities with The Pet Vet