Trick or Treat

Halloween is nearly here and because our pets are part of our family, of course, we want them to join in with the fun, including the joy of eating sweets. However, although sweets may taste good, they are not suitable for our furry friends! Whether it’s chocolate or soft candy sweets, it is essential to keep them out of the way, where our pets cannot get to them.

Chocolate is the most common ‘treat’ to be eaten by dogs! Chocolate is toxic to our furry friends and so is xylitol. Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs, and even a small amount can make our pets very poorly. Chocolate toxicity in animals can result in vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, abnormal heart rhythms. Xylitol can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure. 

So, if you think that your pet has eaten any of our Halloween favourites treats it is important to contact your local The Pet Vet immediately.

Back to News