The dangers of Xylitol

Xylitol is a common sugar substitute that can be very toxic to dogs in even small amounts and it can be fatal. It is often found in sugar-free chewing gum, toothpaste, mouthwash, vitamin supplements and in a small handful of peanut butter brands. 

For example, many owners use peanut butter inside specialist toys to keep the dog entertained or as a training treat and only one tablespoon of the wrong kind of peanut butter can cause problems to a medium-large dog.

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs can include the following:

  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Trembling or tremoring

You should contact The Pet Vet immediately if you think your dog may have ingested some xylitol regardless of the amount.

Back to News