Prevent a Winter Flea Infestation

#Cats, #Dogs
Prevent a Winter Flea Infestation

A flea infestation really is the gift that keeps on giving. 5 fleas on an untreated pet leading to more than 1 million eggs infesting your home in only 4 weeks.*

Fleas in winter

It’s a common misconception that fleas aren’t an issue in the winter months, as many people believe the cold weather kills them off. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. These pests are a threat all year round. With many of us having central heating, we’re often keeping our homes at a flea-friendly temperature which plays right into their breeding life cycle. 

Once established, an infestation can take months to fully eradicate, so the aim is to prevent a flea infestation in the first place. 

Preventing a flea infestation

The best way to prevent a flea infestation is to treat your pet regularly with a monthly flea treatment. The most common type of flea treatment is a spot-on solution which you apply to the skin between your pet’s shoulder blades. Treat all pets in the household at the same time and ensure they’re not able to groom the treatment off each other. It’s important you only use flea treatment on the pet it’s intended for - the dosage will be specific to that pet based on their weight. Never use flea treatment interchangeably between cats and dogs. Some dog flea treatments contain permethrin, an insecticide which is safe for dogs but highly toxic to cats. 

Treating a flea infestation in your home

If you currently have a flea infestation, only 5% of them will be on your pet. The other 95% will be in your home. You will need to tackle both to get on top of the infestation.

How to tackle fleas in your home:

  • Wash soft furnishings at a high temperature (this includes your pet’s bedding)
  • Vacuum regularly
  • Use a household flea spray. Ensure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions

It can be frustrating to still keep seeing fleas, but if you keep up these steps as well as regularly treating your pet, you’ll clear the infestation. 

Order your pet’s flea treatment

Speak to our team today to get your pet sorted with a flea treatment regime. If you’ve signed up for our Pet Health Plan, you’re eligible for a 12 month supply of flea treatment included as one of your benefits.   


*Based on an untreated pet having 5 fleas not being groomed off, each laying 50 eggs per day, developing into new fleas in 14 days and new fleas jumping on and laying more eggs.