Travelling after Brexit
To make sure your pet is able to travel from the UK to the EU after Brexit, you should contact your Vet at least 4 months before travelling to get the latest advice.
The UK will become a third country when it leaves the EU. Third countries can apply to the European Commission to be listed.
In the EU Pet Travel Scheme, there are 3 categorisations of third country:
- Part 1 listed
- Part 2 listed
Pet travel requirements will change depending on what category the UK becomes on exit day.
However, it is likely to be treated as an unlisted country under the EU Pet Travel Scheme if it leaves without a deal.
Pet travel if the UK is an unlisted country
A current EU pet passport issued in the UK will not be valid for travel to the EU.
You’ll need to take the following steps:
- You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and vaccinated against rabies before it can travel. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after its last rabies vaccination (whether that’s a booster or initial vaccination). Your Vet may recommend a booster rabies vaccination before this test.
- Your Vet must send the blood sample to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory.
- The results of the blood test must show a rabies antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/ml.
- You must wait 3 months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you can travel.
- The Vet must give you a copy of the test results and enter the day the blood sample was taken in an animal health certificate.
You might find that the blood test result is not successful despite your pet being up to date with its rabies vaccinations. If this happens you’ll need a repeat vaccination and another blood test taken at least 30 days after the repeat vaccination.
Dogs travelling from the UK to EU listed tapeworm-free countries (Finland, Republic of Ireland and Malta) must be treated for tapeworm 24 to 120 hours (1 to 5 days) before arriving in one of those countries.
Important: You will not be able to travel with your pet if you have not completed the steps listed above.